Goals…we say it, we think it, we wish it, and some of us achieve them. Far too many let their goals sit in this little safe space and never do anything about them. I am not faulting any of you for doing this if you are guilty of it. I get it. I’ve been there. Reaching for a goal is pretty frightening and can be extremely overwhelming. While I am not faulting you for feeling this way, I am also not encouraging you to stay in this comfort zone that is keeping you from jumping. In fact, I am giving you swift kick in the ass to do something NOW to move toward your goals.
Now? You may ask. Yes, now. The very best piece of advice I have been given is to “JUST START.” Do something! Stop being a dreamer and become a doer. Sure, you might mess up and I assure you that things will not go smoothly. So what? Life doesn’t go smoothly and that is why it is awesome. We challenge ourselves with the obstacles we place in front of us and we grow from those obstacles. Fortunately, I am in a place right now that I welcome obstacles. Am I super happy-go-lucky when one gets in my way? Abso-fucking-lutely not. Haha! But I can always look in hindsight and say “I’m glad that happened because…”.
Today I am going to help you with a list of things you can do right now to start reaching for your goals. Specifically, I am going to speak about fitness goals. I have had a lot of people reach out to me about getting started with weight loss in particular. It is that time of year that people are starting to think about making serious changes. That “summer body is made in the winter” mentality…I love it. I want to help as many people as I possibly can with achieving their goals but I can only do so much. There are endless conversations I can have and pieces of advice that I can give but when it comes down to it, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO HAS TO PUT IN THE WORK. Here is a list of 10 (realistic) things you can do to start tackling that fitness/weight loss goal:
- MOVE. I don’t care what it is that you need to do, you have to start moving. Park your car at the back of the parking lot when you go to the store today. Do 10 jumping jacks during each commercial break as you’re watching TV. Go to the gym and walk the track. Give me 25 squats every time you use the restroom today. Whatever you do, just MOVE!
- LEARN. What style of dieting will you do? Will you follow a specific plan? Count calories? Count macros? Will you lift weights, do cardio, or do a combination of both? Take action and do some research! We have this fantastic tool called Google that will spew back more results than you can consume. By the end of today, decide what style of dieting and exercise you want to commit to.
- PLAN YOUR NEXT MEAL. I’m not asking you to plan a whole week’s worth of meals. Heck, I’m not even asking you to plan a whole day’s worth. Just your next meal. Make it a quality choice that tastes good to you but is still in line with your goals.
- WRITE IT DOWN. It is statistically proven that people who write their goals down are much more likely to achieve them. I recommend grabbing a notebook of some kind and start writing. Make sure your goal is SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, & Timely). This allows you to have a plan of action to at least get started.
- NO EXCUSES. Stop making excuses. Everyone has excuses, not just you. I am guilty of making excuses too but then I mentally snap myself back to reality and realize how much I want this. How bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough, you will do it. Bottom line. I encourage you to identify and toss one excuse out the window today and write in your goal notebook what you are going to do to get around that barrier.
- SET A MINI GOAL. I am a big fan of this one. It is not one giant step that gets you to the finish line but lots of little ones. Set a mini goal to achieve by the end of the day. I don’t give a damn how small it is, just set it.
- REACH OUT. If you feel like you need help or guidance of any kind, even just a question answered, reach out to someone that you know and trust on the topic. Most people that are passionate about this stuff are more than willing to help and you can get questions answered that will help motivate you to start.
- DRINK WATER. If there is one thing that aids in weight loss, it is to drink more water! You’ve heard it before. Do it. Drink water until you feel like you need to give birth. I recommend 80-100 ounces.
- KEEP IT SIMPLE. I mentioned Google before and I will be the first to admit that there is an overwhelming amount of information about weight loss on the internet. It is both a blessing and a curse. It can easily cause confusion and be very overwhelming to the point that we become paralyzed and do nothing. Keep it simple. Weight loss boils down to calories in vs. calories out. When you are dialing in on a more specific goal (many of you are), then we start discussing more than just calories (e.g. macronutrients, micronutrients, etc.). If you want to keep it simple to start, find out how many calories you should be consuming a day to lose weight. We can work on the rest later.
- SEEK INSPIRATION. I love this one. There are of lot of really great people I have come in contact with over the past few years and I look up to many of them. I surround myself with people I strive to be like and I allow myself to be influenced by their positive habits. I encourage you to find some inspirational people around you and do the same. Don’t be afraid to be influenced by behavior that will push you in the direction of your goals.
Do one of these or do all of these today – it is up to you – but whatever you do, JUST START! 🙂